St.John's Anglican Church, Vankleek Hill is a parish of the Anglican Diocese of Ottawa and the Deanery of Stormont.
As of January 2020, our current Priest-In-Charge is Fr.Claude R.Delorme. Contact information is telephone: 613-363-7228 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. We are a welcoming church that strives "to know Christ and make him known".
Visitors and newcomers are invited and welcome to attend worship services and other events anytime.
Contact information for St. John's Anglican Church, Vankleek Hill can be found at the bottom of this page and
visit us on Facebook at Anglican Parish of Vankleek Hill.
The parish is active in a number of parochial groups and ministries,
including Christian education. There are Advent and Lenten Series and
a weekly Bible study. We also have discussions on matters relating to
the life of the diocese, e.g. the St. Michael Report, the questions
for and responses from the episcopal nominees for Bishop, and the Diocesan
We are strong supporters of our local retirement residence Heritage
Lodge, with monthly services, afternoon teas, and frequent visiting.
We have also taken services at the Alexandria Community Nursing Home
for years. Our parish has a quiet, but strong, volunteer ministry.
We support the Community Assistance
Fund Enterprises as well, with their projects of: Christmas Baskets
/ Panier de Noël programme; the VKH Food Bank; and a Thrift Shop
in Vankleek Hill. The community involvement of our members extends far
beyond our church-led efforts and events.
The parish is also actively involved in local ecumenical services and
events including the World Day of Prayer, Vacation Bible School, Holy
Week Services, the Canadian Bible Society's "Bike for Bibles"
(2006),events during the week of Christian Unity, and our own Advent
The Anglican Parish of Vankleek Hill
P.O. Box 276
5845 Church St,
Vankleek Hill, ON K0B 1R0
St. John the Apostle, Vankleek Hill (1854):
- 5845 Church Street, Vankleek Hill, ON
- click for map...
earliest services in Vankleek Hill were conducted by the Rector of Hawkesbury,
as at first Vankleek Hill formed part of the Parish of Hawkesbury....
St. John's Church was opened for divine service on the 13th day of August
1854, though in an unfinished condition.... When St. John's Church was
begun there were ninety-three communicants in the whole Parish of Hawkesbury,
which then included L'Orignal, East Hawkesbury, Alfred, Plantaganet,
Caledonia Flats and Vankleek Hill." (St. John's Anglican Church
1854-1984, p. 6)
John's has a few items for sale through The Review on-line store. We
have our 150th Anniversary booklet and colour postcards. The 150th Anniversary
booklets cost $12.00 (+ $15.00 S&H) and the postcards are $2.00
(+ $5.00 S&H). Many other items concerning Vankleek Hill and the
area can be purchased at The Review On-line Boutique:
Higginson Tower Restoration
Higginson Tower has been restored to its former glory. St. John's has
granted a right-of-way to the tower across the sidewalk of the front
of the church, so folks can enjoy the restored tower.For more information
on the restoration project click here.
Paul's, Fenaghvale (1877):
- 6330 County Road 10, Fenaghvale, ON
- Closest town: Fournier
- click for map...
"At first the whole of Prescott was in the parish but in 1869
divisions occurred, creating the two new parishes of Vankleek Hill and
Vankleek Hill at first included the rear of the townships of East and
West Hawkesbury and Caledonia. Later changes occurred in which Caledonia
became part of the Plantaganet parish and Fenaghvale became part of
the Hill Parish." (The Story of Vankleek Hill and its Environs,
Paul's, East Hawkesbury (1884):
Please note that St.Paul's, East Hawkseburg is closed and is now a private dwelling. This part of the page will be here as historical information only.
- 2210 County Road 10,
- Closest town: St. Eugene
- click for map...
hundred years ago [from 1984] the area known as BARB was a small hamlet
with its own school, two churches, Anglican and Methodist, a blacksmith
shop, a Post Office, several cheese factories and two inns. Most
of the people of BARB were dairy farmers. In the Anglican Church Archives
in Ottawa, we find listed also a hewer, a merchant, a carpenter, a blacksmith
and a taxidermist." (St. Paul's Anglican Church, p. 31f)
Roast Beef Dinner #1 on April 24, 2020
May Show 'Big Ron' BBQ on May 17, 2020
Roast Beef Dinner #2 on October 16, 2020
Our parish hall is located in Vankleek Hill just South of St. John's
and has the same address: 5845 Church St., Vankleek Hill, ON.
The hall is used by a number of groups in the community for annual
meetings, dinners, training courses, receptions, birthday parties....
Inexpensive third-party insurance is available (and required) for those
persons or groups who do not have insurance coverage for their events.
Below is a picture from one of St. John's 150th Anniversary events:
Green Parish Practices
- We use china, glassware, etc. for our church dinners and social functions,
avoiding the use of disposable paper/plastic dishes or cutlery.
- We recycle paper, plastics and metal.
- We do not water the lawns and do not plant flowers and shrubbery that
would require it.
- We have programmable thermostats and ceiling fan controllers.
- We have recently cleaned ductwork in both hall and church.
- We regularly change furnace filters.
- We shut off our fridges in the hall for any extended period we will
not be using them, e.g. during summer.
Below are a few web sites dedicated to information and events in and
around the Vankleek Hill area.
Statistics on Vankleek Hill
Statistics on East Hawkesbury
The Anglican Church
Below are a few links that provide information on what the Anglican
Church is doing and some of its resources.